Antioch: Carelessly Discarded Cigarette Starts Fire, Damages Apartment

At 1:52 am Saturday, Contra Costa County fire responded to a report of a residential structure fire in the 500 block of W. 8th Street in Antioch off of F Street.

According to Battalion Chief Bob Atlas, Engine 81 arrived on scene to locate smoke throughout the second floor of an apartment. An exterior fire on the rear patio was extinguished.

He stated the fire did extend into the attic area causing major damage to the rear roof section. Crews worked to extinguish and overhaul the building.

Atlas stated that it was later confirmed that the fire started due to carelessly discarded cigarette in a wood planter on the rear 2nd story porch. There were no injuries to citizens or firefighters during this incident.

He estimates $25,000 to $30,000 in damages with two people being displaced, however, must of the residents belongings were saved as damage was limited to the roof and wall in the kitchen area.

Atlas further highlighted how arriving crews did a good job locating the fire quickly and making fire attack which prevented a lot more damage from occurring stating it could have been a lot worse.